Introduction: Vermicelli with Grilled Pork, known as “Bún Thịt Nướng” in Vietnamese, is a flavorful and satisfying dish that combines marinated and grilled pork with fresh herbs, vegetables, and rice vermicelli noodles. This dish offers a delightful balance of textures and flavors, making it a popular choice in Vietnamese cuisine.
For the Grilled Pork:
- 1 lb (450g) pork shoulder or pork loin, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Noodles and Toppings:
- 8 ounces (about 225g) thin rice vermicelli noodles
- Fresh lettuce leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Bean sprouts
- Sliced cucumber
- Crushed roasted peanuts
- Lime wedges
For the Nuoc Cham (Fish Sauce Dressing):
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 Thai bird’s eye chilies, minced (adjust to your preferred level of spiciness)
1. Marinate and Grill the Pork:
- In a bowl, combine the minced garlic, minced shallots, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, vegetable oil, and black pepper.
- Add the thinly sliced pork to the marinade and mix well. Allow the pork to marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill the marinated pork slices for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through and have a nice char.
2. Prepare the Vermicelli Noodles:
- Cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water to remove excess starch. Set aside.
3. Make the Nuoc Cham Dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, minced garlic, and minced Thai bird’s eye chilies. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Adjust the flavors to your liking by adding more lime, sugar, or chilies if needed.
4. Assemble the Dish:
- To serve, divide the cooked vermicelli noodles among serving bowls.
- Top the noodles with grilled pork slices.
- Arrange fresh lettuce leaves, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, bean sprouts, and sliced cucumber on top.
5. Garnish and Serve:
- Drizzle the Nuoc Cham dressing over the assembled dish.
- Sprinkle crushed roasted peanuts on top for a delightful crunch.
- Serve with lime wedges on the side.
- Toss everything together before enjoying your Vermicelli with Grilled Pork. The combination of flavors and textures is simply irresistible.
Conclusion: Vermicelli with Grilled Pork (Bún Thịt Nướng) is a beloved Vietnamese dish that offers a harmonious blend of grilled protein, fresh herbs, and a zesty dressing. It’s a dish that’s both refreshing and satisfying, making it a popular choice for those seeking a taste of Vietnam’s culinary traditions. Whether enjoyed as a meal on its own or as part of a larger spread, this dish is sure to delight your taste buds. Enjoy your homemade Bún Thịt Nướng!